Thursday, May 31, 2012

What is Rolfing exactly?

I have always wanted to get Rolfed. Have a Rolf session? Get a Rolfing treatment. I imagined it to be a treatment where the practitioner had there fingers through my ribs to the back side and vice versa. I did not know really what Rolfing was but I heard that it was painful. I am the kind of person that loves alternative medicine. I love acupuncture, chiropractic, massage and Reiki. I think there is something so fundamentally missing from our culture- connection- and these practices really help the body heal itself.
I have severe problems with my back. They are all self caused. Years of stilettos, waitressing with heavy trays, years of teaching snowboarding and the injuries that incurred,  three babies and gaining and losing 150 lbs through pregnancies.
So I decided that I would try Rolfing. I went to Body of Work in Durango and met with Bridget Hendrix, a petite and lovely woman. The space was bright, immaculate and beautifully decorated. She asked me some questions about my health and had me walk around the room. I know that my posture is horrendous. Then I sat on a table that is like a massage table but larger and more comfortable and she began the treatment. I sat on the table as she worked on my colon and other organs. It was very nurturing and felt like a dance. I was instructed to let my body be moved by her hands. It was very relaxing. Then I laid on my back while she worked on different nerves and organs in my stomach area. While I lied on my back she had me work on breathing exercises that filled my whole body. It was eye opening to really see how shallow I breathe on a normal basis.
Last, she rolled me on my side and put pillows between my knees and put me in a comfortable position for my body. Then, she worked on the nerves in my neck and my sides, all the while I was breathing deeply.
When the treatment was over, I walked around the room once more, and I could feel the arches of my feet. Something I have not felt in years. I thanked Bridget and walked outside. I kept on breathing after I left the space and imagined my head being lifted by the sun like a magnificent sun flower reaching the rays. I could feel space in my upper torso, neck and hips. I felt amazing. I had to drive to Farmington, so I kept on breathing and sat up very straight, conscious of my posture, breath, and outlook.
I want to continue this journey and see where it takes me. Rolfing is a healing art that I want to learn more about.

No comments:

Post a Comment